Looking to turn off your antivirus but not sure how? Whether you’re troubleshooting an issue, installing new software, or just want to temporarily disable it for gaming, turning off your antivirus can seem like a daunting task. But fear not! In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the steps to safely and easily turn off your antivirus so you can get back to what’s important – whether that’s work or play. So let’s dive in!
How to turn off Norton Antivirus?
If you need to turn off Norton Antivirus for any reason, follow the steps below. Keep in mind that turning off Norton Antivirus will leave your computer vulnerable to malware and other online threats.
- Open the Norton Antivirus interface by double-clicking the Norton icon in the system tray or finding it in the Start menu.
- In the Norton interface, click on the “Settings” gear icon in the top-right corner.
- Click “Norton AntiVirus” in the left sidebar, then click “Turn Off.“
- A pop-up window will appear asking if you’re sure you want to turn off Norton Antivirus; click “Yes.“
- You’ll see a message indicating that Norton Antivirus is now turned off; click “OK.“
How to turn off McAfee Antivirus?
If your computer is running slow or you’re getting error messages, you may want to turn off your McAfee antivirus temporarily. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the McAfee Security Center by clicking the icon in the taskbar.
- Click “Settings” and then select “General Settings.“
- Scroll down to the bottom of the General Settings page and click “Turn Off.“
- A pop-up window will appear asking if you’re sure you want to turn off your protection. Click “Yes.”
- Your McAfee antivirus will now be turned off until you turn it back on manually or restart your computer.
How to turn off AVG Antivirus?
Assuming you would like a step-by-step guide on how to disable/turn off AVG Antivirus:
- Firstly, open the AVG program by double-clicking on the icon which is usually located on your desktop.
- Once the program has opened, locate the ‘Options‘ tab at the top of the page and click on it. A drop-down menu will appear.
- From the drop-down menu, select ‘Advanced Settings’. The ‘Advanced Settings’ page will then appear.
- On the left-hand side of the page, under the ‘Resident Shield’ heading, click on the small arrow to expand this section.
- Next to where it says ‘Turn off Resident Shield’, click on the ‘Edit’ button. A pop-up window will then appear asking you to confirm that you want to turn off Resident Shield.
- Click on ‘OK’. Another pop-up window will appear asking you if you are sure that you want to turn off all protection components including Firewall, Auto Sandbox and Email Protection (if these are enabled). If you wish to continue with turning off AVG Antivirus, click on ‘Yes‘.
- Close the program once you have finished. AVG Antivirus should now be disabled.
How to turn off Avast Antivirus?
If your computer is running slow, or if you’re trying to install a program that Avast! Antivirus may deem unsafe, you can temporarily disable the software. Keep in mind that without active antivirus protection, your computer and data are at risk of infection from malware. To disable Avast! Antivirus:
- Open the Avast! user interface and go to Settings.
- Click on Active Protection.
- Select the type of protection you want to disable and click on the switch to disable it. The switch will turn from green to red when disabled.
How to turn off Windows Defender Antivirus?
Assuming you have Windows 10:
- Click on the Start Menu
- Type in “Windows Defender”
- Select “Windows Defender Security Center” from the results
- Click on “Virus & threat protection”
- Under “Virus & threat protection settings”, click on the toggle to turn off real-time protection
- A message will pop up asking if you’re sure you want to turn off real-time protection – click Yes